Sunday, July 4, 2010

"She blinded me with science!"

Our omelet made it to four cells this morning!  The embryologist called and told us it was a beautiful grade 1 (the best) embryo!  Yes!

We grappled a bit with the decision to do a 3 day transfer or a 5 day transfer.  Our RE really was pushing for the 5dt but, after I did some of my own research, I just felt like it was a bad idea.  We only have one embryo and most embryo's that arrest do so between days 3-5.  It's much harder to sustain the embryo in the in vitro medium after day 3.  Most experts seem to believe that the in vitro medium, even the new advanced ones, are just not as good as the womb environment.  Women who get a lot of fertilized eggs do much better with the 5dt because, most times, they will have a few that reach the blastocyst stage on day 5.  In our case,  it seems like tempting fate to wait out the five days when we only have one shot.  It would destroy us to think that we had a viable embryo and let it die sitting in a petri dish.

Let P = "The womb is better than the petri dish"
Let A = "Healthy embryos can arrest between day 3-5 due to culture intolerance"
Let Q= "A 3 day embryo dies in the womb."
Let D= "A 3 day embryo dies in the dish."
Let Y= "We should choose a three day transfer"
Let X= "We have many embryos to transfer"

so

~X.(P.A).(Q->D)->Y

Yeah.  It's been awhile but, I'm close I think....

Basically, it boiled down my wife and I trusting our instincts and hopefully, we made the right decision.


I can't believe our kid is only 4 cells old and already giving us gray hair.


Alright, omelet.  8 cells tomorrow!  You can do it! 


No comments:

Post a Comment