Friday, May 21, 2010

"I'm sensitive and I'd like to stay that way."

Today I had one of those moments that really made me love my job.  I had called the mother of one of my students to see if we could take a team approach to convincing him to use Access-A-Ride instead of riding the yellow school bus to program.  This individual is extremely high functioning and has total capacity for independent travel.

The moment I said this to his mother, the woman absolutely unloaded on me.  She spilled her guts about how she's getting older and wants to retire but, she gets no support from her family when she tries to push her son to be as independent as possible.  She would love to see him holding down a part-time job and living in an assisted living apartment but, he family acts like she's abandoning he child.  

She thanked me for agreeing with her and totally she is completely on-board.  I told her that lots of parents tend to face these issues and that's why I like to make sure the parents of my students who live at home know that they are part of team whose goal is to have the student be as independent as they can be.  

It was awesome.  Very few of my students live in agency residences so, I get to know their families really well.  I love when the families get really involved and want to be a part of the team.

Anyway, that was the good part.


The bad part was we finally got a raise for the first time in 3 years.  It was a paltry $20 more per 70 hour pay period.  That's $10 per week.  Wheeeeeeee.  Honestly, its so insulting, I'd almost rather they didn't bother.

No comments:

Post a Comment